- Why study with Josh?
- For no additional charge, I regularly handcraft pieces tailored to your individual hand size and skill level, as you can see in my Works page. I don’t know of any other teacher who regularly writes custom arrangements for their students, yet I find it a delight and a pleasure to do so. I truly value your learning.
- I support whatever you want to achieve. Do you hate Chopin and just want to play Taylor Swift instead? Do you want to write songs and focus more on harmonic analysis than actual playing? If you want to play church hymns, I’ll adjust lesson content accordingly. If you like pop music, I’ll gear you towards playing its tricky rhythms well.
- I am flexible with my time. Many teachers demand monthly payments at the start of the month. I just charge per lesson, merely with basic common-sense stipulations (like a 24-hour notice of cancellation for either party, and so on).
I teach private students, working with kids as young as 5 to middle-age adults and retired seniors, from beginners with zero experience to advanced pianists seeking improvement. I believe every individual has great creative potential and can always learn to play, understand, and appreciate music, given a disciplined work ethic and solid technical foundation.
Click here for a list of some exercises that I conduct with beginner-level students.
Rates: Please contact me (fees for travel, short notice, or lack of an instrument at the venue).
Here are some YouTube videos of me:
• Playing a Chopin waltz for the Rotary Club of Alexandria, LA
• Improvising on the spot with a jazz choir in Riverside, CA
• Performing Bach with a string orchestra in Perugia, Italy
I play for weddings, funerals/memorial services, luncheons, and dinners for audiences of 1 to 5,000+. I’ve performed as a soloist performing with orchestras in concert halls abroad as well as in local senior centers, in drug-&-alcohol rehab centers in the heart of Mexico, and even inside the chapels of three prisons in Louisiana.
I am often heard improvising while sight-reading rag, jazz, classical, gospel, pop, video game music, and music of other genres. I publicly speak and perform both in the spotlight as well as in the background, and have been an accompanist to solo instrumentalists and vocalists to large ensembles. I also lead choir rehearsals and sectionals.
Some of my piano transcription work done live can be viewed below:
Contact me and I’ll get back to you shortly, usually within a day.