|Lesson Rates:||At my Riverside studio:||Elsewhere:||Online:|
|Notes:||Travel charge**||Contact me**|
* – The travel charge is the studio rate: $45/hour of round-trip travel as calculated in Google Maps from my location to the destination and back. (The travel charge is high because my job is to teach, not to drive.)
** – Not recommended for beginners.
- Why study with Josh?
- For no additional charge, I regularly handcraft pieces tailored to your individual hand size and skill level, as you can see in my Works page. I don’t know of any other teacher who regularly writes custom arrangements for their students, yet I find it a delight and a pleasure to do so. I truly value your learning.
- I support whatever you want to achieve. Do you hate Chopin and just want to play Taylor Swift instead? Do you want to write songs and focus more on harmonic analysis than actual playing? If you want to play church hymns, I’ll adjust lesson content accordingly. If you like pop music, I’ll gear you towards playing its tricky rhythms well.
- I am flexible with my time. Many teachers demand monthly payments at the start of the month. I just charge per lesson, merely with basic common-sense stipulations (like a 24-hour notice of cancellation for either party, and so on).
I teach private students, working with kids as young as 5 to middle-age adults and retired seniors, from beginners with zero experience to advanced pianists seeking improvement. I believe every individual has great creative potential and can always learn to play, understand, and appreciate music, given a disciplined work ethic and solid technical foundation.
Click here for a list of some exercises that I conduct with beginner-level students.
Here are some YouTube videos of me:
• Playing a Chopin waltz for the Rotary Club of Alexandria, LA
• Improvising on the spot with a jazz choir in Riverside, CA
• Performing Bach with a string orchestra in Perugia, Italy
I play for weddings, funerals/memorial services, luncheons, and dinners for audiences of 1 to 5,000+. I’ve performed as a soloist performing with orchestras in concert halls abroad as well as in local senior centers, in drug-&-alcohol rehab centers in the heart of Mexico, and even inside the chapels of three prisons in Louisiana.
I am often heard improvising while sight-reading rag, jazz, classical, gospel, pop, video game music, and music of other genres. I publicly speak and perform both in the spotlight as well as in the background, and have been an accompanist to solo instrumentalists and vocalists to large ensembles. I also lead choir rehearsals and sectionals.
|Arranging Rates:||4 instruments or fewer:||>4 instruments:|
|100 bars or fewer:*||$30||+$10 each|
|Every +100 bars:*||+$20, tiered|
|Handwritten Manuscripts:||Legibility Charge: $0-20*|
|By Ear (no existing score):||+$100|
|MIDI Audio Arrangement:||+$150 in the style of AMM ♫|
|Special Requests/Composing:||Please contact me|
* – Bar counts exclude bars that repeat verbatim from elsewhere in the piece.
I transcribe electronic music of anything through Android (see AMM for more info), and I work with music notation software Sibelius and engrave/digitize handwritten manuscripts of music. I’ve arranged four-part hymns and composed for concert orchestra as well as solo piano and piano-accompanied works.
Some of my piano transcription work done live can be viewed below:
I edit audio and video in ways such as: adding fading-in/-out at any time in audio tracks; converting DVD contents to other formats; joining/splitting audio and/or video files; swapping audio tracks for the same video; and converting an audio track into a video displaying one or more static images.
Contact me and I’ll get back to you shortly, usually within a day.